Monday 16 February 2015

MY FIRST SEMESTER AT UNIVERSITY





As my first semester of university has finally come to an end, I have now some time to reflect.

After the last really stressful weeks I can finally enjoy a big break and relax a little bit. Of course, towards the end of the break I do have to study and get prepared for next semester. There are two exams in March which I didn´t took in my first semester, because otherwise it would have been far too stressful. And that´s maybe the most important thing I learned at university: it can get extremely difficult and stressful at times! I would say that I am an ambitious person, but sometimes I am snowed under with work (Yes, everybody knows that feeling :D). Then I do not know what to do next and get really really nervous…

I experienced a big difference between school and university. At school, everything was well organised and prepared. There was homework and I knew exactly how and what to study for my next test. Except for Maths which was never one of my favourite subjects… Unfortunately our teacher wasn´t able explain in a clearful way which made it quite challenging to understand what he was talking about. Not to mention to prepare oneself for the tests… Maybe that´s one of the reasons why I decided not to study something technical at university. My choice was to study Transcultural Communication which I do not regret since I love languages (especially my mother tongue German).
 
Towards the start of the semester, I didn´t know what to expect. But I was curious to learn something new and to broaden my mind. Except for English, German and Italian classes I also had lectures like "Einführung in die Transkulturelle Kommunikation" or "Linguistische Aspekte der Transkulturellen Kommunikation". In these lectures everything was about communication, culture and transculturation which was definitely worthwhile. I really did enjoy all of my language classes, because I learned so much I didn´t know about, such as the country, people and the way people live and life in general.

Another big thing is to be organised. As I have already mentioned, going to school was a lot easier because of the organisation and preparation already done by the teachers. At university you no longer have teachers who write the dates of assignments on the blackboard and remind you all the time. I experienced that I have to be aware of my assignments and other important dates. There are cut off dates for changing the subject for example…

The two final weeks of the first semester were definitely the most stressful ones because of the many exams and the preparation for them. During the whole semester there wasn´t a day I didn´t study anything or did some homework for my classes. Nevertheless, it was nothing compared to the last few weeks. At some days I couldn´t go outside to do some sports because there wasn´t any time left because I had to study that much. But I knew that it would be well worth it in the end though.

This semester I have also met all kinds of different people. At school I nearly knew all of the students, whereas at university there isn´t a day I don´t see new faces. People here are at all ages and at all different points of success in their life, which makes the conversations more interesting I have with them. I like talking to them and hear other points of view about a specific topic. To my mind, there is always something you can learn from other people.

So, my first semester of university is done now! It was probably nothing I´ve ever experienced, but worthwhile. To wrap up, I can definitely say that I have learned a lot these past few months. I´m looking forward to next semester and the new challenges and adventures it will bring!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment