Saturday 21 February 2015

LONDON, HERE WE COME!



Last week I decided to book a flight to London. I´ve already been there about a year ago and I really enjoyed my time there. I instantly gravitated towards the charm of the city. I am fond of the small houses and they reminded me on the architecture of buildings in the Netherlands. Two friends of mine joined me and travelling together is always much more fun! On Tuesday in the early morning we started our four-day trip. After spending hours in the plane and several busses, we finally arrived in London. Well, the weather could have been better since it was rainy and cold…

In the afternoon of our first day we visited Greenwich, a district of South East London. We visited the Maritime Museum among other things. My friends are fond of museums... To my mind, the majority of them are rather boring. The only good thing is that you learn something new and a wide range of knowledge definitely broadens your mind. Afterwards we went to Covent Garden. A Dr. Martens store is located there besides many many other shops and stores. Dr. Martens is a footwear store which offers boots, sandals and other shoes. I personally love this British footwear brand and I have already three pairs of this brand. After spending some time and looking around I finally found another nice pair.

In the morning of our third day we went to Oxford by bus. Oxford is very famous for its colleges and universities. We also visited the building where parts of the Harry Potter movies were filmed. Afterwards, we went to Blenheim Palace. I was so tired and thought this would be nothing special, because I had never heard about this place before. Surprisingly, I was completely fascinated by this lovely place with its stunning garden. Its construction was originally intended to be a gift to John Churchill, who was the 1st Duke of Marlborough. Blenheim Palace was also the birthplace of Winston Churchill. Although I´m not that interested in history, this building and its story are quite impressive. It sits in the centre of a large park, which is typical for the English landscape garden. I was really fascinated!

One of my favourite places in London is definitely Camden Town. So, on our last day we decided to go there. When you come out of the Camden tube station, the first part of the Camden experience you´ll have is the wild looking shops along Camden High Street with giant shoes and spiders adorning the tops of the multicoloured buildings. Then the Camden Market which is mostly clothes and accessories and Camden Lock Village with little food booths, for example. Back at the hotel again, it was time to pack our suitcases and get to the airport.

Our trip to London was appealing and definitely worthwhile, but too short. Can´t wait to go there again!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment